Monday, June 6, 2011

30 Days of TV: Day Four

My Favourite Show Ever

Days of Our Lives
 


As you might have already noticed, I love me some soap operas! Far and away Days of Our Lives, DOOL as it is affectionately called, is my absolute favourite of all the soap operas I follow. In my household, it's always been called Roozaia Zendegi, and it was watched every day without fail. Mum would get so cranky when I would forget to tape DOOL and The Bold and the Beautiful, which, let's be honest, was quite often.

Days of Our Lives holds a special place in my heart because I've grown up watching the show and it's characters have been a constant in my life since I was in the womb. I love good soap and, for the most part, DOOL has delivered tenfold. From Marlena's possession to Sami and Lucas scheming to come between Austin and Carrie to Vivian burying Carly alive DOOL has always been the craziest of all the soap operas...and it's been a hell of a ride following along. 



The many faces of Eileen Davidson...all in the same storyline!

Truly one of the best storylines on the show in the 1990s was the Kristen Blake/Susan Banks baby swap. Eileen Davidson not only played the role of Kristen, but also that of Susan, Susan's sisters, Sister Mary Moira and Penelope Kent, as well as Susan's brother, Thomas. This was probably the most hilarious cheesy soapie story that I can recall right now, but I LOVED IT!
Eileen's five simultaneous roles deservingly earned her a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in 1998. 



The deliciously evil Stefano DiMera, the Phoenix

It goes without saying that DOOL would not be the same without its greatest villain, Stefano DiMera. Sure, he's died about 10+ times while I've been watching...but how different would the show be if he hadn't faked Hope Brady's death or meddled with John Black's (formerly The Pawn, Roman Brady, Forrest Alamain, Ryan Brady) life and identity. Stefano is the ultimate soap opera supervillain. He's never truly dead. He's got a tonne of money and he's not afraid to use his shady connections to get just about everything he wants...except for Dr. Marlena Evans, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment