Sunday, June 5, 2011

30 Days of TV: Day Three

My Favourite New Show of the 2011 Season

Downton Abbey


Seven episodes of goodness make up my favourite new tv show of the season this year. I've always been interested (read: obsessed) with period dramas, in particular those that revolve around the English aristocracy. I guess re-reading Pride and Prejudice and re-watching the BBC miniseries every single year without fail since I was 15 might possibly have a little something to do with it. 

But what you'll find in most novels about the English aristocracy is that it will solely focus on the social dynamics within that particular class. You'll be introduced to accomplished aristocratic ladies whose lives centre around parties, gossip and finding a gentlemen worth 10, 000 pounds and a large country estate to settle down with. And a title, if possible!

Downton Abbey follows the ups and downs of life in the stately home of the Earl of Grantham, where the issue of the heir to Lord Grantham and the impending war with Germany hangs over the entire series. What's so refreshingly different about Downton Abbey is we're introduced to not only the Earl's family, but also all of his staff. The Abbey is the main character; and the people who live there and those that serve them are secondary. The house itself, and what it represents, casts a far longer shadow compared to the goings on between the servants and their masters.

I was a bit skeptical at first. The promos for the show made it seem a whole lot sexier than it actually ended up being. There are about two conventionally 'sexy' scenes, which really suits me fine. I'm all for gays on TV...but something about seeing Thomas, the First Footman, kissing the Duke of Crowborough just seemed forced and unnecessary. To each his own, but the show does well without needing to pander to viewers who want things to be sexed up like almost every other show on television. So if you're looking for something about scandalous young debutantes and their romping servants...you're out of luck. 

What do I love about the show?
  • The slow burning romance between the spoilt (and sullied!) eldest daughter Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery) and the new heir to the estate, her third cousin Matthew Crawley (Dan Stevens). I could listen to Dockery talk all evening long...that's one sexy lady right there that I can almost seem to forgive her character for being a rotten bitch early on in the season
  • Lady Sybil (Jessica Brown-Findlay) is adorable! Why on Earth isn't the show focusing more on her and less on the ghastly middle sister Edith (Laura Carmichael), who's eyes I'd like to stab with my spork everytime she opens her pathetic pouty mouth
  • John Bates (Brendan Coyle) and Anna Smith (Joanne Froggatt)...*swoon* Oh let's be honest here...any scene with Anna. 
  • Miss O'Brien (Siobhan Finneran) and Thomas (Rob James-Collier) are a fantastic dastardly duo. 
  • Highclere Castle, the real Downton Abbey, is such a beautiful house! Gorgeous surroundings too! I love me some English countryside...green as far as the eye can see!  
I'm sure I could go on and on and on...but I don't want to reveal everything! It's a neat little British show that's got a whole lot of potential. Only thing that worries me is that it takes about a million pounds per episode to produce. So ratings better stay consistently strong or else it's bye bye Downton Abbey, hello reality tv! 

[cue audience booooooo]

No comments:

Post a Comment